The Home of the Creative Mind

Welcome to PooBahSpiel, the online voice and home of the creative mind of Mark Monlux, Illustrator Extraordinaire. Prepare yourself for an endless regaling of art directly from the hand of this stellar artist. And brace yourself against his mighty wind of pontification. Updates are kinda weekly and show daily sketches, current projects, and other really nifty stuff.

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Comic Critic Reviews The Deathless Devil



I never want to hear the words “Turkish Pulp Cinema” ever again. After watching Tarkan vs. The Vikings, I promised myself I’d return the DVD without spending even a moment on the second feature on the disk. But I was weak. Was I rewarded for my moment of weakness? No! Instead, I was bludgeoned with an endless stream of random fistfights strung together with random car chases, random rescues, or footage of cars, trains and planes. This film seemed to go on so long that every character’s costume kept aging, including the robot’s. And you know it was the robot that lured me into watching The Deathless Devil. What an apt name for a movie that just would not die.

3 comments:

ellen said...

Wow Mark you really gave this one a punch in the gut, sounds like it deserved it.
Thanks for taking/giving the hit for us.
Ellen Clark

David said...

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to mention to you (and maybe you are already aware of this)but the movie "The Deathless Devil" seems to be a ripoff of the 1940 Republic Pictures movie serial "Mysterious Doctor Satan" or perhaps the severely edited-for-TV version from 1966 called "Doctor Satan's Robot". Just check IMDB and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, I really enjoy your reviews-- please keep 'em coming!

Regards,
David Malin

PooBahSpiel said...

A third feature of the DVD was a documentary about Turkish Pop Cinema. The documentary mentioned the rip of of not just one republic serial but anything the producers thought might find a lucrative market. My difficulty with mentioning that in my comic or comments was space and tightness. While saying it was a cheap knock off might have provided proof that the feature was lame, it was my overwhelming sense of being bombarded by lameness that was the key point I want to sell. Just as in the movies, many facts would have been distracting.