The Home of the Creative Mind

Welcome to PooBahSpiel, the online voice and home of the creative mind of Mark Monlux, Illustrator Extraordinaire. Prepare yourself for an endless regaling of art directly from the hand of this stellar artist. And brace yourself against his mighty wind of pontification. Updates are kinda weekly and show daily sketches, current projects, and other really nifty stuff.

Monday, July 9, 2007

I Review the Movie Head

I was just a toddler when The Monkees first aired on prime time television. I don’t think it was the type of show my parents watched and I can’t claim to have been a fan then. When the show aired as a Saturday morning show a few years later, I did become a fan. Of course, I thought Speed Racer was cool, too. This didn’t stop me from dragging my sweet understanding wife to a reunion concert of The Monkees at The Puyallup Fair years later. We both enjoyed the show a great deal. It made me fairly excited to see “Head.” Like so many fans before me, I left feeling alienated by it. I didn’t want to watch something that deconstructed their phony television personas. I fell in love with their phony television world and watching this movie felt like getting a Dear John letter—30 years late. Go ahead, watch the film if you feel like an excursion into yesteryear to find some odd writing and a couple of surprising cameos, but don’t expect to feel the love like you did when you were a kid.



No comments: