The Home of the Creative Mind

Welcome to PooBahSpiel, the online voice and home of the creative mind of Mark Monlux, Illustrator Extraordinaire. Prepare yourself for an endless regaling of art directly from the hand of this stellar artist. And brace yourself against his mighty wind of pontification. Updates are kinda weekly and show daily sketches, current projects, and other really nifty stuff.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bumbershoot 2010 Day 1

You might be wondering, “Mark, where are all the cartoons?” Well, last week I had a business trip to Boston that kept me busy, and this Labor Day weekend the wife and I are attending Bumbershoot. For those of you who do not live in Seattle, or the music scene, Bumbershoot is music festival that takes over the entire Seattle Center (where the 1962 World’s Fair was held.) I’d planned on showing you the drawings I do at the performances, but I forgot a critical cable and so you will have to wait. But I can keep you updated on the wonderful groups we got a chance to listen to.

Plants & Animals
– A mellow sound for Indie music. I could listen to them all day. I drew one of the band members as a Cactus, which he found funny when he signed the sketch.
Justin Townes Earle – Very bluesy and he’s very good with the crowd. I drew his shoes. The man had an odd way of standing.
Budas Band – Lots of funky brass and all sorts of drums and rattles made these guys a lot of fun to listen to. I drew a hip cat wearing a suit having a drink under a banana palm.
Visqueen – A local Seattle band who we loved listening to. Stringy and fluffy at the same time with a bit of barb wire.
The Raveonettes – Dark and mood music that I just loved. I’m going to have to add them to my dark and moody line up. Weird and crazy stuff with the guitars. I drew a great raven. Wait until you see it.
See Me River – We are definitely going to pick up this band’s CD before we leave. Hard to describe this music. A grungy version of Ted Leo, but more rocky.
Niko Case – Tacoma gal who has come a very long way
Edward Sharp – We tried to get over to the stage to see him but the brick mass of people already arrived before the show kept us from even getting close. They should have put him on the mainstage. Whine!
Bob Dylan – Bob Dillon’s voice was Bob Dillon’s voice squared.

No comments: