The Home of the Creative Mind

Welcome to PooBahSpiel, the online voice and home of the creative mind of Mark Monlux, Illustrator Extraordinaire. Prepare yourself for an endless regaling of art directly from the hand of this stellar artist. And brace yourself against his mighty wind of pontification. Updates are kinda weekly and show daily sketches, current projects, and other really nifty stuff.

Friday, June 27, 2008

A Tall Ship, A Taller Squid




This week I worked on a project for Tacoma Art Supply. There is a fleet of tall ships coming to Tacoma and they wanted a poster to sell at their booth that had a nautical theme. The challenge was the limited time I had to work on it as the event is coming fast. Here is an example of three stages my projects go through. The comp was a very loose sketch about eight inches tall. Both the inking and the color final was done at one 100% to fit on a 17 by 22 sheet.

7 comments:

KJ Bateman said...

What a great poster. I always like to see how designs evolve.It's like looking into someone's mind to see how it works. Do you have even more preliminary designs for the work?

PooBahSpiel said...

In this case the only other things I had to go on was the scrap images the client provided. They were old engravings of giant squids attaching ships. But, what you see here was all I did. There just wasn't time to do any other preliminary sketches.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy the poster. I picked it up and a comic con, and it now gracefully adorns my wall. Thanks for the good work.
And now a question.
We chatted briefly about your comic movie reviews while I was at said con, and you suggested I view a film with 'Cowboy' in the title, but now I've gone and forgotten what it was. You recommended it based on my appreciation of Donnie Darko. Any ideas what it was?

PooBahSpiel said...

Well, I don't think it was John Wayne's "The Cowboys," which is a very fine film. My best guess is that I recommended "Drugstore Cowboy," which has some surreal imagery that follows its very interesting storyline.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I was completely off course. 'Cowboy' was nowhere near the title I was really looking for. 'Dead Man' was the film you suggested. I don't know how looking into 'Drugstore Cowboy' caused the actual title to resurface, but I'm glad it did. They both look like great films I'll be checking out soon! Thanks for the response, and keep up all the good work. It's much appreciated.

Josiah said...

i have this poster! and its sighed :D its on my door right now. and now im looking at it :D

PooBahSpiel said...

I'm always surprised to hear that people have this poster up on their wall, or door, or ceiling. It turned out to be very popular and besides being sold by me at comic conventions it can be found on sale at the Tacoma Art Museum and Comic Book Ink, for only a dollar.