The Home of the Creative Mind

Welcome to PooBahSpiel, the online voice and home of the creative mind of Mark Monlux, Illustrator Extraordinaire. Prepare yourself for an endless regaling of art directly from the hand of this stellar artist. And brace yourself against his mighty wind of pontification. Updates are kinda weekly and show daily sketches, current projects, and other really nifty stuff.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Comic Critic Reviews The Day the Earth Stood Still - 1951


The other day a young friend of mine confessed he had not seen The Day the Earth Stood Still. I was genuinely appalled. It has always remained in my head as a basic. It influenced not only other films, but American pop culture as well. When my friend heard “Klaatu berada nikto,” his only reference to it was a line from Armageddon. This most cherished film of my childhood, one I have seen so many times I’ve lost count, this icon which bravely embodied the average Joe’s hope against cold war stupidity, meant nothing to him (other than a quirky quote he didn’t “get” in another movie). I therefore call upon all members of The Cult to rise up and make this unique masterpiece a mandatory view for everyone.

No comments: